In this post, I have collected 50 short but tricky riddles which many people will find hard to answer. You can ask these riddles in any type of gathering to spend some good time.
Short riddles are always fun to ask. Best thing about these riddles is that, you can ask these riddles as a quiz contest. Just split any group in two or more teams and then see who wins.
Here is list of 50 small but tricky riddles. Answers are in front of riddles in bold letters.
50 Short but Tricky Riddles
Download these riddles in PDF format or print it.
- Which is faster, hot or cold? Hot, you can easily catch cold.
- Forwards I am heavy .Backwards I am not. What am I? Ton
- What question can you never answer “yes”? Are you asleep/ dead?
- What has teeth but cannot eat? A comb
- What goes up and down but doesn’t move? A staircase
- What kind of dog never bites? A hot dog
- Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven eight (ate) nine.
- What country is popular on Thanksgiving Day? Turkey
- What wears a cap but has no head? A bottle
- It is black, but you say it is clean. It is white, but you say it is dirty. What is it? Blackboard
- What has many keys but can’t open a single lock? A Piano
- Which table doesn’t have legs? Vegetable
- What’s never used until it’s broken? An Egg
- What has lots of eyes, but can’t see? A potato
- What building has the most stories? The library
- What is the smallest room in the word? Mushroom
- Why did I throw the butter out of the window? Because I wanted to see the butterfly 🙂 🙂
- What starts with E, ends with E and only has one letter? An envelope
- What runs all around a backyard, yet never moves? A fence
- Which is heavier: a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers? Neither—they both weigh a ton.
- What is the largest ant in the world? Elephant (Just for fun 🙂 )
- What is 3/7 chicken, 2/3 cat and 2/4 goat? Chicago
- What start with a Y ,end with a T and is full of T? Teapot
- What has a bottom at the top? Your legs
- From what number can one take half and leave nothing? Number 8 (if you cut it in half horizontally, you are left with 0)
- What has hands but no feet, a face but no eyes, tells but does not talk? Clock (It has 3 hands, 1 face and it tells time)
If these 50 riddles are not enough then, check 101 riddles and puzzles
- How many months have 28 days? All of those have at least 28 days.
- What do you drop when you need it and take back when you don’t? An anchor
- What 5-letter word has six left when you take 2 letters away? Sixty or Sixth
- What do tigers have that no other animals have? Baby tigers
- What can you swallow than can also swallow you? Water
- Which three letters can frighten a thief away? I C U (when you say I See You)
- What appears once in every minute, twice in every moment, but not once in thousand years? Letter M.
- What belongs only to you and yet is used more by others than by yourself? My name
- Why is a river rich? It has two banks
- What have cities but no houses, forests but no trees; rivers but without water; what am I? A Map
- What man cannot live inside a house? Snowman
- What match can’t be put in a match box? Football match, basketball match and many more
- The more you take away, the bigger I become. What am I? Hole (more you take away sand, bigger the hole becomes)
- What has hands, but can’t clap? A Clock
- What has legs, but doesn’t walk? A Table
- What would you find in the middle of Toronto? The letter “o”
- What part of London is in Brazil? L (letter L is only common in both)
- What is that you ought to keep after you give it to somebody else? A promise
- When is your uncle’s sister not your aunt? When she’s your mother
- How many cheese sandwiches can you eat on an empty stomach? Only one (after that you are not on empty stomach)
- When will a net hold water? When the water is frozen
- A hungry donkey was tied to a rope eight feet long. About thirty feet away there was a basket fresh carrots. The donkey wanted to eat those carrots. How did he reach them? Other end of rope is not tied anything else!
- I am an odd number. Take away a letter and I become even. What number am I? Seven
- What can you hold in your left hand, but not in your right hand? Your right hand